Sunday, March 27, 2011

Fat Girl Fashion.

I have been on the hunt for some new clothes as of lately. I am finally starting to accept my body the way it is, and if I never lose this weight, I will hopefully be okay with it. Don't get me wrong, I am still changing things all of the time to help lose weight and get healthier, but I am starting the long overdue process of loving myself. And it has been a process, because let's face it, when you are obese you mainly just want to throw on a sweatshirt, some baggy jeans and throw your hair up. No one wants to look at you anyway, right? WRONG! So I am trying to find different ways to look beautiful and feel confident NOW instead of when I lose the weight I want.

Regardless of your size darling, you are beautiful. No body is perfect and free of flaws, every single one of us is self conscious in our own right. Thanks media, thanks peer pressure, really appreciate it. We all need to realize that it is possible to be sexy, to look good and feel good about ourselves at ANY size.

I used to see girls in cute little outfits, I think I can't wear those outfits, feel bad about myself and then revert back to wanting to wear those baggy clothes. Through the help of some "fatshion" blogs online, I am realizing tons of new ways for us to look just as cute and sexy(!) in outfits that are similar, we just have to work a little harder at making our bodies look good.

One of these days, I will be confident enough to do an outfit post for you all, so you can get some more ideas and feel confident!

For example, I recently did a photoshoot with a good friend of mine who is just gorgeous and tiny. She wore short shorts with black tights underneath and a tank top. I was feeling bad about myself, because I thought I could never pull it off and then I found this photo last night.

Gorgeous! And almost the same exact outfit! I have not owned a pair of shorts in over four years, but now I am dedicated to finding a pair I can wear with some tights and look good.

Really, the key to looking good at any size is playing up your assets and downplaying your flaws. For example, I have some cellulicious thighs, therefore I have the option of wearing tights and BAM all of those flaws hidden! And I can still wear short things!



This are some other outfits. I love skirts, but am always terrified to wear them with anything other than baggy tops because of my arms, my legs, my hips, etc. I love how these girls worked it. I could easily mimick this with a skirt, tank top and cute cardigan (or open shirt) up top.

Belts are another one of my new best friends. High waisted belts are very in right now and make anyone's hips look great and hide all of those flaws.


Ah, the skinny jeans. I have wanted a pair of these for so long, or even some slim fitting pants, but I am always so terrified to even attempt to wear them. But with some thigh high boots, they instantly slim your legs and with a loose fitting long top, it looks great!

These are just a few ideas I a looking to incorporate into my wardrobe. Really there is nothing you cannot wear, you just have to learn to make clothes work for your body and work that confidence!

Some stores I have really found to be awesome:

Lane Bryant
We all have heard of this store, and it does tend to get expensive. However, they are the best for bras and have some great sales! I just picked up a pair of dress pants on sale for $6.99 that were originally $49.50! Really, it is all about the search with this store. They also provide free shipping to store locations, which is fantastic and I have utilized it already.

Torrid
Let's face it, I have been a punk rock kid from the get go. Kathy can tell you about my goth kid days in high school (but let's hope she doesn't) and this store let's me play up that factor of my personality while still having an adult look and feel.

DEB
This store I have not really experienced so much, but I often see some great prices and sales whenever I do go in and I find them located everywhere.

Rue 21
I am in love with this store, I just discovered it a few weeks ago and love all of the accessories and their plus size clothes are a great price!

Old Navy Plus
I can still get lucky sometimes and fit into the tops and bottoms in the XXL size, unfortunately they no longer sell their plus size clothing in stores. Check out their website, they have some great basic pieces at pretty good prices!

Target
Really their in store plus size selection is kind of pathetic, but online their selection is pretty decent. Again a great place to look for basics!

Maurices
My favourite! Unfortunately you cannot order online, but luckily these stores are everywhere and their jeans are my absolute favourite! I lack in the derriere department but have huge hips and these jeans even look great on me and for only $30.00, you can't beat it. They also have some cute tops and accessories, the quality is great as well and I have never had any problems with this store.

Ruche
This is an online based store that I really love to drool over. I have yet to order anything from their site because of the hefty price tag, but if nothing else, check them out for inspiration! They have some great plus size designs!

If you have any more suggestions, feel free to let us know! I will also definitely start posting more fat girl fashion inspiration for you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment